Duterte says ICC should focus on Rohingya than his drug war

By , on February 15, 2018


President Rodrigo R. Duterte has ordered all public hospitals to provide free medical services and treatment to children administered with the controversial dengue vaccine Dengvaxia. (ACE MORANDANTE/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO)
FILE: President Rodrigo R. Duterte (ACE MORANDANTE/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO)

The President questioned an international court who wants to investigate his campaign to eradicate illegal drugs, when according to him; their eyes should be on the Rohingya crisis.

President Rodrigo Duterte, in his speech in a private meeting in Cebu City lashed out on the International Criminal Court (ICC) which is set to conduct a preliminary examination on the Philippines controversial drug war.

Ako na hinuon, ako pa’y first head of state nga gi-indict. Naay mga Rohingya diha nga… Rohingya diha nga gipang-ihaw, gipang — Ako pa’y gidaginot sa y*** (But I was the first head of state who was indicted. There are Rohingyas who are being slaughtered but they only chose to indict me),” Duterte said in his native Bisaya language.

O sige, gusto mo? Sige. Trial tayo. I will cross-examine you. Maabtan sila ani nga gulo, patay sila sa cross-examination. Maayo man kaya nga lalaki ni (Okay, you asked for it?  Let us have a trial. I will cross-examine you. When the trouble reaches them, they won’t be able to stand the cross-examination. Well, if this guy is really good at),” he added.

Before bringing up his ICC case, he criticized the United Nations (UN) for being “useless,” citing international problems and issues that the organization did not address.

Earlier this month, the Palace confirmed that ICC will conduct a preliminary examination – which is different from a preliminary investigation since the former will still determine if there is a reasonable basis to proceed with the latter.

(Read: ICC to conduct ‘preliminary examination’ vs. Duterte, PH war on drugs)

“Our mission in The Hague was informed that the Office of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court is opening a preliminary examination on the alleged acts associated with the campaign against illegal drugs covering the period of July 2016,” Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, Jr. said in a Palace briefing.

Duterte has reacted that this will not stop him from promoting and implementing his anti-narcotics campaign.

(Read: Duterte to ICC: ‘War on drugs will not stop’)

“Drugs, I like to address myself to the International Court of Justice and to the Prosecutors coming here to investigate. The war or the drive against drugs will not stop. And it will last until the day I step out,” he said.

“If I go to prison, I go to prison. If you want to execute me, look for a country that allows prisoners to be executed by firing squad. Doon ako (I will be there),” he added.