MANILA, Philippines —The camp of Vice President Leni Robredo on Monday told losing vice presidential candidate Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. to stop filing “unnecessary” motions to delay the resolution of the election protest case he filed against his rival last 2016 elections.
“If former senator Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. is determined to get a speedy resolution of his protest…he should avoid filing motions that only lengthen the proceedings,” Robredo’s camp said in a statement.
“By doing this, they have no one to blame but themselves for any delay,” Atty. Romulo Macalintal, the vice president’s legal counsel, added.
Macalintal was referring in particular to the partial motion for reconsideration filed by Marcos, questioning the decision dated November 7, 2017, of the Supreme Court sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal (PET).
Marcos filed the motion after Robredo got the green light from PET to have copies of ballots and other reports from the decrypted secured digital (SD) cards from the provinces of Camarines Sur, Iloilo, and Negros Oriental.
Macalintal defended the decision of the PET, saying it is a “standard practice in the spirit of transparency and fairness.”
“Like in any other case, both camps are given copies of all documents,” Macalintal said.
Macalintal previously said the soft copies would help both parties protect their rights.
In its decision, the PET approved the urgent ex-parte motion filed by Robredo’s camp on October 23, 2017, that she will have to be provided with soft copies of the ballot images and reports from the decrypted SD cards from the three pilot provinces identified by Marcos for his poll protest.
The vice president’s camp said the decision pushed Robredo to coordinate with the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on the procedure and supplies needed for the soft copies.
For its part, the Comelec said they can provide the soft copies to both parties.
Robredo expressed readiness to give Marcos copies of the reports if he would ask for it.