AFP backs PRRD order to end peace talks with Reds

By , on November 24, 2017


Padilla also said there is no need to conduct  loyalty check among  soldiers engaged in clearing operations in Marawi as there is no reported incident  involving members of the military who have defected to the enemy side. (PNA Photo)
FILE: Maj. Gen. Restituto Padilla (PNA Photo)

MANILA — The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) supports President Rodrigo Duterte’s decision to terminate peace negotiations with the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army-National Democratic Front (CPP-NPA-NDF), its spokesperson said Friday.

Maj. Gen. Restituto Padilla, AFP spokesperson, said 64 soldiers, police officers and militiamen had been killed while another 127 had been wounded in various attacks and ambushes conducted by the NPA this year alone.

Aside from these, rebel attacks also accounted for 70 civilian deaths, including a four-month baby girl in Bukidnon last Nov. 9, along with 13 wounded and another 28 missing.

Padilla said the AFP will continue focused military operations against NPA rebels attempting to conduct atrocities and other forms of harassment while giving a chance to those who want to surrender and live peaceful lives again with their families and loved ones.

Talks with the rebels were ordered scrapped by the Chief Executive in his Proclamation 360, signed on Thursday, following the series of atrocities committed by NPA bands against military and civilian targets in various parts of the country.