NBI to probe killing of Infanta assistant fiscal

By , on September 30, 2017


"The SC is almost powerless to override the declaration of Congress and the President," Aguirre told reporters during the press briefing on Monday held at DOJ in Manila. (Photo: Philippine News Agency)
FILE: Department of Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II. (Photo: Philippine News Agency)

MANILA — Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II has ordered the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) to investigate the killing of assistant provincial prosecutor Reymund F. Luna in Infanta, Quezon province.

Aguirre on Friday issued Department Order No. 646, directing NBI Director Dante Gierran to investigate and build up a case on the death of Luna.

“The NBI is hereby directed and granted authority to conduct an investigation and case build-up over the killing of Assistant Provincial Prosecutor Reymund F. Luna and if evidence so warrants, to file appropriate charges thereon,” the justice chief said in his order dated September 29.

Luna was shot dead by two unidentified men on a motorcycle in Barangay Tongohin in Infanta on Friday morning. He was the seventh prosecutor to be attacked since October 2016.

Last Sept. 2, Pablito A. Gahol, former Mandaluyong City prosecutor and chairman of Barangay Mauway in the city, was shot dead. In July, Rizal assistant provincial prosecutor Maria S. Ronatay, was ambushed and gunned down by riding-in-tandem men.

In February, Caloocan City prosecutor Diosdado Azarcon was shot thrice in the head by a man on a motorcycle outside his house in Caloocan as he was on his way to work. That same month, Surigao City prosecutor Manuel Tesiorna was attacked.

On Jan. 11, Quezon City prosecutor Noel Mingoa was shot at close range outside a restaurant along Commonwealth Ave., while Mati City prosecutor Rolando Acido was shot dead outside the Mati City Hall of Justice on Oct. 26 last year.