MANILA — The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) will be assessing security footages of activity in all areas of Resorts World Manila to determine possible lapses or violations committed by the hotel and casino regarding the attack that took place inside its casino last week.
“Our legal team, together with security and surveillance experts are assessing if they (Resorts World) have violated (regulations),” PAGCOR Chairperson Andrea Domingo said in a press conference at the Manila Hotel on Monday.
“We (also) want to find out if there was leniency or negligence and managing the fire situation,” she added.
Domingo said that penalties will depend on how many violations were committed and how grave their violations were. Penalties range from reprimand or suspension of gaming license.
She also assured that the PAGCOR has been implementing stricter measures to prevent gambling addiction.
“We are trying to do the best we can to prevent gambling addiction,” Domingo said.
Asked if she was open to an aggressive anti-gambling addiction campaign similar to the Duterte administration’s current anti-illegal drug campaign, she stressed anew that last week’s attack was an “isolated case.”
PAGCOR will instead push for a more effective gaming responsibility program.
“…There seem to be a lack of security measures. We’re doing this for all PAGCOR-owned casinos and all licensees,” Domingo said.
Asked if Resorts World Manila could risk losing its gaming license, Domingo said it is too early to say but noted that the PAGCOR will have to take into consideration its investment traffic.