Trump postpones release of new immigration order to next week

By on February 23, 2017


US President Donald Trump's administration has postponed until next week the release of a new executive order to replace his temporary ban on US entry for citizens from seven Muslim-majority nations, Reuters news agency reported Wednesday. (Photo: Donald J. Trump/Facebook)
US President Donald Trump’s administration has postponed until next week the release of a new executive order to replace his temporary ban on US entry for citizens from seven Muslim-majority nations, Reuters news agency reported Wednesday. (Photo: Donald J. Trump/Facebook)

WASHINGTON—US President Donald Trump’s administration has postponed until next week the release of a new executive order to replace his temporary ban on US entry for citizens from seven Muslim-majority nations, Reuters news agency reported Wednesday.

The order is expected to be issued “sometime next week,” it said, quoting a White House official. Trump said last week that he plans to release the new order this week.

Trump said the new order would address legal concerns about his controversial directive that barred entry for citizens from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen for 90 days and imposed a 120-day halt on the country’s refugee intake.