MANILA — The Department of Justice’s (DOJ) National Prosecution Service (NPS) will request for the transfer of the trial venue to Metro Manila of the suspected members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) who are currently detained in Zamboanga City.
According to Prosecutor General Claro A. Arellano, if the Supreme Court (SC) approves the motion for the “transfer of trial venue,” they will file, they will then request for the transfer of the detention facility of the accused.
Arellano said that such action will be made by the DOJ following the request of Zamboanga City Mayor Maria Isabelle Climaco to transfer to Manila the suspected members of Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) who are detained in the local detention facility.
The bombing incident in Zamboanga City last Friday where two persona were killed and 52 others injured was suspected to have something to do with the plans of 57 inmates to escape from prison in the area.
Arellano explained that the prosecution previously requested in 2010 that from Basilan, the trial venue of the accused be transferred to Manila.
However, he said, the SC approved the transfer of the trial venue to Zamboanga City.
Justice Secretary Leila M. De Lima said that she has already informed President Benigno S. Aquino III about the action to be made by the DOJ.