Roxas is still LP’s candidate for 2016 elections

By , on January 21, 2015


DILG Secretary Mar Roxas in today's joint NDRRMC-PDRRMC briefing; he emphasized the President's instructions to evacuate residents in coastal areas. (Photo by the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office)
DILG Secretary Mar Roxas in today’s joint NDRRMC-PDRRMC briefing; he emphasized the President’s instructions to evacuate residents in coastal areas. (Photo by the Presidential Communications Development and Strategic Planning Office)

MANILA – Despite criticisms he received last year, Interior and Local Government Secretary Max Roxas is still the standard bearer of the Liberal Party in the 2016 presidential elections.

During a meeting of congressional leaders on Tuesday, House Speaker Sonny Belmonte said that Roxas remains to be their bet.

“There’s no formality yet, but to my knowledge, over the past years it’s been assumed that unless new circumstances will come out, Mar is the presidential candidate,” said Belmonte.

He added, “But fact of the matter, we haven’t met yet. President hasn’t made a definite pronouncement.”

Roxas still has not commented on whether he will run in 2016. But in case he does, he will battle it out with Vice President Jejomar Binay who has long declared his plans of running for president. He currently tops the survey with Roxas following him at second place.