BEIJING — More than 30,000 Beijing couples have applied to have a second child since the capital eased its one-child policy in February of last year, the Beijing Municipal Commission of Health and Family Planning said Monday.
Of the 30,305 applicants, 28,778 were approved. The number is lower than the 50,000 expected, the deputy head of the commission, Zhong Dongbo, said at a press conference.
“A lot of couples who may have a second child have chosen not to have them this year, but this does not mean that they won’t have them in the future,” Zhong said. “Maybe they’re just not ready.”
“Economic cost,” “time cost” and “one child is enough” are believed to be the top reasons for not having a second child, Zhong added.
Beijing will still be prepared for an increase of 50,000 births every year. An extra 1,000 beds will be arranged in Beijing hospitals within three years, Zhong said.