MANILA – Philippine Air Force (PAF) chief Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Delgado on Tuesday said that they recommend to implement a “no-fly zone” on the airspaces of Manila, Tacloban, and Palo in Leyte during the Papal visit slated on January 15 to 19.
Delgado said that they are going to give this recommendation to President Benigno Aquino III.
“So far (this) is our position, to ensure the safety and security of the Pope,” said Delgado.
Moreover, air assets of PAF will be sent to the areas where Pope Francis will be visiting to ensure complete security.
On the other hand, government agencies and airlines will be meeting on Wednesday to talk about the new flight schedules to make way for the Pope’s arrival. They will also discuss measures on dealing with passengers who will be affected by the revised flight schedules.
Earlier, Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) announced that plane departures and arrivals will not be allowed in all NAIA Terminals from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. on January 15 and 6 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. on January 19.
“The prerogative to cancel, advance, delay or divert flights rests on the airline companies. Whatever it is, MIAA and other government agencies in NAIA will support them,” MIAA General Manager Jose Angel Honrado said.
Passengers who have flights scheduled on those dates are urged to arrive before the NAIA complex closes.