MANILA – The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Sunday announced that one was save while two bodies were retrieved from the Bulk Jupiter cargo ship that sank in Vietnam last Friday night.
The said ship was made up of all-Filipino crew said DFA spokesperson Charles Jose. The one that was rescued was the chief cook of Bulk Jupiter.
Based from the list released by Ho Chi Minh-based website Tuoi Tre News, the chief cook was named at Angelito Rojas from Tubugan, Iloilo.
However, the DFA said that they still need to double check the list and confirm if it’s true.
“So far, one crew member, reported to be the chief cook, has been rescued while two bodies have been recovered. The search for the 16 other crew members continues,” said Jose.
Bulk Jupiter, the 56,000-ton Bahamian-flagged cargo chip, was bringing in iron ore to China from Malaysia. It sank on January 2 at 9:41 p.m. near the coast of Vung Tau City in Southern Vietnam.
DFA, through its embassy in Hanoi, will work with the Vietnam Maritime Research and Rescue Coordinating Center for any updates on the incident.