Sen. Aquino lauds Estrada for lifting truck ban in Manila

By , on September 15, 2014


Sen. Benigno 'Bam' Aquino. Photo courtesy of Bam Aquino on Facebook.
Sen. Benigno ‘Bam’ Aquino. Photo courtesy of Bam Aquino on Facebook.

MANILA – Senator Paolo Benigno ‘Bam’ Aquino IV on Sunday welcomed as ‘very opportune time’ the decision of former President and now mayor Joseph Estrada to indefinitely lift the truck ban in Manila.

”The move came at a very opportune time as we are faced with the deluge of container arrivals with the start of the “ber” months,” Aquino said in a press statement.

With the lifting of truck ban in Manila, Aquino encouraged all other government agencies and private companies to work together to solve the port congestion that has clogged the port of Manila by as much as 81,000 containers.

”I call on national government agencies, other local government units and private companies to further work together to solve the port congestion, such as opening of offices for seven days a week, maximizing the Batangas and Subic ports, and taking the empty containers out of the Port, among others,” Aquino said.

”We continue to find solutions to support the economic growth, avoid production delays and maintain prices of goods for our consumers especially with the approach of the Christmas season,” he added.

During the last week’s Senate budget hearing, Trade Secretary Gregory Domingo said port congestion will continue until December as volume of containers have increased with the onset of peak season or so-called ‘ber’ months.

The truck ban as well as other factors has resulted to heavy traffic in and commuters at the North Luzon Expressway (Nlex) and on roads leading to Manila.

The Manila truck ban ordinance was implemented in February 2014. Cargo trucks were not allowed on the city’s main roads from 5: 00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.