MANILA — With a large crowd expected to appear in Monday’s scrapping of pork barrel system rally, the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) on Sunday announced security measures are all set for the event.
On Monday, thousands of protesters are expected to converge at the Rizal Park in Manila to call on the abolition of all forms of pork barrel.
The event will also serve as a sign-up drive for a People’s Initiative against pork barrel.
NCRPO chief Police Director Carmelo Valmoria said that he will be deploying sufficient number of personnel for the peace and security in the area.
He did not disclose the number of cops to be deployed for security matters.
But Valmoria said the presence of personnel from the Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA), Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Bureau of Fire Protection made the number of security forces enough to maintain peace and order in the area.
Valmoria also said he had already instructed his men to exercise maximum restraint in dealing with protesters.
The NCRPO Chief said they hope to accomplish the same outcome during President Aquino’s 5th State of the Nation Address (SONA) last month.
But Valmoria said part of their preparation is a worse-case scenario wherein some rallyists would instigate confrontation with cops.
For his part, Chief Supt. Reuben Theodore Sindac, PNP-Public Information Office (PIO) chief, said the NCRPO has been instructed to ensure that no untoward incident would occur that could disturb the peaceful conduct of the multi-sectoral rally against pork barrel system.
According to Sindac, the PNP Command has directed the NCRPO to provide security coverage, public safety services and other necessary contingency measures for the projected Multi-Sectoral Rally Against Pork Barrel.
He added the NCRPO has also been tasked to activate its Task Force Manila Shield.
Task Force Manila Shield is regularly activated for big protest actions in Metro Manila.