Malacañang condemns assault on Filipina in Libya

By on August 1, 2014


ShutterStock image
ShutterStock image

MANILA — Malacañang on Thursday condemned the kidnapping and rape of a Filipina nurse by youths in Libya.

“Kinokondena po natin ang krimen na naganap laban sa isang mamamayan natin doon,” said Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. in a press briefing at the Palace.

According to reports, four Libyan youths kidnapped the Filipina nurse and brought her to an undisclosed place where she was assaulted by six men. She was released hours after the abduction.

Some 3,000 Filipino doctors and nurses are working in Libya.

Coloma assured the public that the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is continuing the repatriation of Filipino citizens in Libya.

“Patuloy pa rin ang pagsisikap ng ating Department of Foreign Affairs na nagtalaga na ng mga quick response teams para tulungan ang ating mga kababayan,” Coloma said, adding that the Department has already chartered a ship to evacuate Filipinos out of the conflict zone.

The DFA on Monday relocated non-core staff of the Philippine Embassy from Tripoli to Tunisia, while staff dependents were repatriated last week.