Sex offenders barred from entering PH

By , on June 5, 2014


Face of Bureau of Immigration building / Wikipedia Photo
Face of Bureau of Immigration building / Wikipedia Photo

MANILA — The Bureau of Immigration said on Thursday that foreigners registered as sex offenders , deemed as threat to public safety, will be denied of entry to the country.

Immigration chief Siegfred Mison said in a statement reported by GMA news that sex offenders already in the country will be ordered to leave within 15 days.

A deportation proceedings will follow should the registered sex offender, already given an order, fails to leave the country.

“The BI shall ensure that the relevant immigration information of the registered sex offender shall be attached to the travel records, alien registration records and derogatory records, and the same will be part of the sex offender file,” the Immigration statement added.

He also added that those names found in the registry of sex offenders will be included in the Immigration blacklist.

The legal division of the immigration department will conduct a forfeiture proceedings for foreign sex offenders holding a visa other than a temporary visitor visa.

Meanwhile, several sex offenders were recently arrested in the Philippines including:

  • American Robert Snyder, 67, who was arrested in Dumaguete City last May 17 by BI agents and US law enforcers. Snyder had been a fugitive for 10 years in connection with a sex assault case. He has been deported.
  • five fugitives accused of rape and child molestation in their homeland were deported simultaneously by BI after their passports were revoked by authorities last February.

With reports from GMA News