Palace: All gov’t officials tagged in ‘pork’ scam entitled to follow legal process

By , on May 18, 2014


Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte. Screenshot of PCCO EDP press briefing video.
Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte. Screenshot of PCCO EDP press briefing video.

MANILA — All government officials linked to the P10-billion pork barrel scam, regardless of whether he or she is an ally of President Benigno S. Aquino III, will not be spared and will have to follow the legal process.

In an interview over state-run dzRB Radyo ng Bayan, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte reiterated that the president was not protecting his allies.

Valte noted that President Aquino himself said that the government relied on evidence-based investigation and that crime would not go unpunished.

In an earlier interview, the President mentioned that while he would not spare his allies, it was not right to dismiss them for merely being included in the said ‘Napolist’ or list of officials linked to the scam.

President Aquino said that officials were ‘innocent until proven guilty’ but welcomed public criticism as they had the right to express dissatisfaction.

Among the president’s allies who were linked to the scam include Budget Secretary Florencio Abad, Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala and TESDA director general Joel Villanueva.

The three previously denied allegations on their involvement in the scam.