Napoles to be discharged from Ospital ng Makati

By on May 7, 2014


Janet Lim Napoles undergoing routine check-up. PNP-GH / Camp Crame file photo
Janet Lim Napoles undergoing routine check-up. PNP-GH / Camp Crame file photo

 

MANILA (PNA) — Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged brains in the pork barrel fund scam, can now be discharged after recovering from the operation from the Ospital ng Makati (OsMak), according to her physicians on Tuesday.

In a press conference held in Taguig City, physicians Efren Domingo and Elsie Badillo-Pascua, both obstetrician-gynecologists of St. Luke’s Medical Center, said they have already issued Napoles a surgical and gynecological clearance.

Domingo said Napoles has already recovered after they removed her entire uterus and ovaries.

Asked about when Napoles will be discharged from the OsMak, both doctors said it is up to the authorities.

“Based on our surgical gynecological clearance, she is able to walk, able to ambulate. Except for minimal wound pains, she is alright and fully recovered. The rest, as to the other aspect, we leave with authorities,” he said.

Domingo said Napoles no longer need a post-operative treatment since her tumor was found to be benign.

He added that monthly check-ups are important for Napoles for them to ascertain her “maximal” recovery.

Napoles underwent a two-hour surgery last month due to a cyst in the uterus with multiple myoma.

Pascua said Napoles should not be stressed mentally and physically for at least two to three months, as it will impede her recovery.

On Monday, the OsMak submitted a recommendation to the Makati RTC Branch 150, stating that Napoles can already be discharged.

Lawyer Fay Isaguirre Singson said they had to defer Napoles’ discharge due to her elevated blood sugar level.

Another Napoles lawyer, Bruce Rivera, said they will ask the Makati court to extend Napoles’ stay at the OsMak until Napoles recovers fully from her surgery.

Rivera said he fears Napoles would not be able to recover well if Judge Elmo Alameda of the Makati RTC Branch 150 will order her immediate return to her detention cell at Fort Sto. Domingo in Laguna.

The Makati RTC Branch 150, presided by Judge Elmo Alameda, is handling the serious illegal detention case, a non-bailable offense, of Napoles.

Apart from the serious illegal detention case, she is also facing plunder charges in connection with the alleged pork barrel scam together with some senators and government officials.

The case was filed by her former employee and pork barrel fund scam main whistleblower Benhur Luy.

Napoles underwent total hysterectomy and a bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy or removal of her entire uterus and both ovaries.

If discharged, Napoles will be brought back to the Fort Sto. Domingo in Sta. Rosa, Laguna, where she has been detained prior to her confinement and operation. (PNA) LAM/CLTC