Kapa scam victims should file cases: Palace

By , on June 12, 2019


FILE: Presidential Spokesperson and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Secretary Salvador Panelo holds a press briefing for the Malacañang Press Corps (MPC) on Monday, November 26, 2018, at the New Executive Building (NEB) in Malacañang. (Photo: Office of the Presidential Spokesperson/Facebook)

MANILA — Malacañang on Tuesday urged victims of a scam perpetuated by the religious group Kapa Community Ministry International Inc. to file charges.

“Those defrauded will have to file cases against this owner, and they can recover. They will have to file criminal and civil suits,” Presidential Spokesperson Panelo said in a Palace briefing.

Kung gusto mo makuha ang pera mo ulit, siyempre (If you want to get your money back, of course) you should file,” he added.

In a “Give us this Day” TV guesting in Davao City last week, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the shutdown of Kapa which was allegedly involved in pyramiding schemes.

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) earlier flagged Kappa for allegedly soliciting investments in the form of donations and at a monthly interest rate of 30 percent.

Panelo, meanwhile, brushed aside claims made by Kapa’s lawyer Pastor Koel Apolinario accusing Kingdom of Jesus Christ (KOJC) head Pastor Apollo Quiboloy of instigating Duterte’s crackdown on the investment scheme.

“The issue is: Has this particular entity defrauded those who invested? That’s the issue,” Panelo said.

He said Palace is also open to ordering the closure of firms offering similar investment schemes.

“Kapag nalaman nating mayroong mga ganiyan, diy dapat talagang ipasarado (If we find out that there are cases like that, we really have to order its shutdown) because it’s a continuing crime of estafa,” Panelo said.