MANILA — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Director General Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa on Tuesday formally led the ceremony where the Special Action Force battalion, tasked to secure the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) and its high-profile drug inmates, was formally relieved by another SAF unit Tuesday.
In a Radyo Pilipinas report, Dela Rosa assured the public that members of the relieving SAF battalion had no previous duty on the NBP in Muntinlupa.
This was done to prevent familiarization with the high-profile inmates there, he added.
Dela Rosa said the relieving SAF team was headed by Chief Inspector Christopher Mendoza who had gained much experience in the five-month battle to liberate Marawi City from the Maute Group terrorists.
A SAF battalion is usually relieved from NBP duty every four months. But in this case, SAF head Director Noli Taliño said the previous contingent needed to be replaced as it had been on NBP duty for the last six months.