Fisheries output down 1.04% in 2017

By , on February 2, 2018


It said limited fishing operations in Zamboanga Peninsula due to the existing inventory of canned sardines during the third quarter also contributed to lower output. (Photo:  Dennis Jarvis/Flickr)
It said limited fishing operations in Zamboanga Peninsula due to the existing inventory of canned sardines during the third quarter also contributed to lower output. (Photo: Dennis Jarvis/Flickr)

MANILA— Total fisheries production went down by 1.04 percent in 2017 compared to the previous year’s level, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) reported.

PSA noted output reductions in commercial by 6.89 percent and municipal fisheries by 1.05 percent; while aquaculture performed better by 1.68 percent.

The volume of output of commercial fisheries, which comprised 21.97 percent of the total fisheries production, reached almost 947,000 metric tons.

The PSA report released Friday attributed the decline in output to less unloading of species in Navotas Fish Port, which was brought about by frequent rainfall and numerous weather disturbances that prevailed in the country from May to September.

It said limited fishing operations in Zamboanga Peninsula due to the existing inventory of canned sardines during the third quarter also contributed to lower output.

The PSA added municipal fisheries production reached 1.13 million metric tons during the year.

About 85.45 percent of the volume was credited to unloadings in municipal fish landing centers, while the remaining 14.55 percent was contributed by inland fisheries subsector.

Aquaculture, which had a share of 51.91 percent to total fisheries, posted 2.24 million metric tons last year.

Seaweed harvests accelerated in Sulu and Tawi-Tawi during the second semester, as a result of favorable weather conditions that prevailed in the provinces.

The PSA said local government units (LGU) interventions, such as distribution of seaweed planting materials and floaters also supported the growth.

Of the major species, round scad and tiger prawn indicated output shortfall by 11.89 percent and 6.29 percent, respectively.

However, more milkfish, tilapia, seaweed, skipjack and yellowfin tuna were produced during the period.