Ombudsman Conchita Carpio-Morales on Wednesday vowed that her office would immediately act on various complaints filed against top officials of the Aquino administration in line with the alleged anomalous deals for the Metro Rail Transit-3 (MRT-3) during their term.
Morales said she wants the complaints settled before she steps down in July 2018. The Ombudsman also said that she has yet to see the complaint, however added that she would willingly take action on the accusations.
“Oo naman… Aaksiyonan naman natin kaagad. Hindi naman puwedeng hintayin ang July bago aksiyonan. (Yes of course, we will immediately take action. We cannot wait until July to act on the charges) I am supposed to retire next year unless I get impeached and convicted,” Morales told reporters in a chance interview after delivering a speech at the University of Santo Tomas.
Morales is an appointee of former President Benigno Aquino III. The anti-graft chief has earlier faced criticism from President Rodrigo Duterte, saying that her office has mastered the art of selective justice—hard on some, soft on others, according to the President’s definition.
Earlier, the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption said an impeachment complaint has been prepared against Morales over her alleged partiality in its investigation on the 2015 Mamasapano incident.
On Tuesday, some officials of the Aquino administration were charged with plunder and graft complaints for the alleged anomalous MRT-3 contracts favoring Busan Universal Rail Inc (BURI).
This was filed by the Department of Transportation represented by its undersecretary for legal affairs and procurement Reinier Paul Yebra, along with legal services director Giovanni Lopez and lawyer Mark Steven Pastor.
Among those impleaded officials were former Transportation Secretary Joseph Emilio “Jun” Abaya, Interior Secretary Mar Roxas, Budget Secretary Florentino Abad, Finance Secretary Cesar Purisima, Energy Secretary Jericho Petilla.
The MRT-3 has repeatedly been criticized over a series of technical glitches.
Last week, a passenger of the MRT-3 lost her right arm in a mishap at the Ayala Station. Two days after that incident, an MRT-3 coach was detached from the train body, leaving the train car along the tracks between Buendia and Ayala stations.
Duterte on Saturday apologized to the public for the inconvenience caused by the detaching of MRT-3 coach happened last week. Transport officials, for their part, have assured the public that the incident is being investigated thoroughly and efforts are carried out to ensure the commuter’s safety.