The Department of Education (DepEd) on Monday has urged the public to be vigilant against “fake news and half-truths” especially social media posts on the supposed suspension of classes this week.
“The Department of Education has not made any announcement regarding the suspension of classes on November 23, 24 and 27 being circulated by Facebook page ‘Walang Pasok Advisory,’ nor is it associated with the page in any way,” DepEd said in a statement.
“We encourage the public to be vigilant against fake news and half-truths and be more discerning of information that they accept and disseminate,” DepEd added.
The Facebook page posted that the education department announced the suspension of classes on those days in which DepEd has denied.
The post has since been deleted.
DepEd also encouraged the public to get verified information and announcements on their official website, Facebook page, and Twitter account.
ABS-CBN News denied affiliation with “Walang Pasok Advisory” Facebook page, hitting the latter for using the news agency’s photos and logos without permission.
“ABS-CBN News is not affiliated with Facebook page “Walang Pasok Advisory,” which used our photo and logos without permission. Please refer to our verified pages ANC 24/7, DZMM TeleRadyo, TV Patrol, and Patrol.PH or news.abs-cbn.com for information. Thank you.,” ABS-CBN News said on their Facebook page.
In October last year, even the agency’s official Twitter account erroneously posted false news about class suspensions for schools in the National Capital Region (NCR) due to Typhoon Lawin.