MANILA — The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Friday started its preliminary investigation of the rebellion charges filed by National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) against a woman allegedly involved in the recruitment of foreigners into the country for terrorist activities through social media.
During the proceedings, members of the NBI-Counter Terrorism Division subscribed to the complaint-affidavit against Karen Aizha Hamidon before Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Peter Ong.
Accompanied by her mother, Hamidon, 36, arrived at the DOJ without a lawyer.
She is facing 14 counts of violation of Article 138 of the Revised Penal Code (inciting to rebellion or insurrection) in relation to Section 6 of the Cybercrime Prevention Act of 2012 (Republic Act of 2012).
She is also facing rebellion charges in relation to her social media posts supposedly calling on foreign and local Muslims to join the fight against government forces in Marawi City.
Hamidon was given until November 10 to file her counter-affidavit. She accused operatives of the NBI who arrested her for planting evidence against her.
“I feel deprived of my right for legal counsel as stipulated in the constitution. I’ve always been assertive of my right. My function is only through the usage of social media. I have nothing to do with any of those accusations like Maute, I have nothing to do with that. I strongly deny all of those alleged false accusations hurled against me,” Hamidon told reporters after the hearing.
“They’ve already sensationalized this story because I have reached this pinnacle of international notoriety with the usage of social media. So they’ve tried to link me with them but I have nothing to do with them or whatsoever,” she said.
She explained that she is a blogger and a Daiya — an Islamic propagator using social media to spread the message of Islam.
“I only use social media as my avenue to spread the message of Islam for religious purposes, for maximum audiences,” she said.
She does not deny being the ex-wife of Singaporean Muhammad Shamin Mohammed Sidek as well as the widow of slain Ansar Khalifa Philippines (AKP) leader Mohammad Jaafar Maguid alias Tokboy who was killed in a shootout with police in Sarangani last January.
The AKP is allegedly behind the attack in the Roxas night market in Davao City in September last year as well as the failed attempt to bomb the US Embassy in Manila last December. (PNA)