MANILA – The names of the four possible successors to outgoing Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Gen. Eduardo Año, who is scheduled to retire on October 26, has been submitted to President Rodrigo Duterte.
“The Board of Generals has already submitted the names of three-star generals to the President (as early as) last week,” said Año in an interview late Sunday.
Año, a member of Philippine Military Academy Class of 1983, will retire in two weeks after reaching the mandatory military retirement age of 56.
He said the announcement may be made a few days before his retirement. While not naming those on the list, the AFP chief said all of the nominees are “qualified to be Chief of Staff” and has the necessary leadership credentials.
“They are senior leaders, they have risen from the ranks, they have the experience, they have what we say leadership material, and they are well-respected. Any one of them will do good for the AFP,” he said.