DOTr assures no gov’t subsidy in proposed Bulacan airport

By , on September 19, 2017


FILE: DOTr (Photo: Philippine News Agency)
FILE: DOTr (Photo: Philippine News Agency)

MANILA The Department of Transportation (DOTr) assured that it will not pass on to the public the cost of the proposed international airport in Bulacan province that will serve as an alternative gateway to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport.

DOTr Secretary Arthur Tugade said the government will not subsidize the construction, operations, and maintenance of the new airport once the project is approved.

“There should be no government guarantee or subsidy. Dapat wala sa kontrata na nagsasabi ang mga eroplano na lumilipad sa airport na ito ay ilipat sa atin. Dapat walang ganun. Kung okay yun, handa tayo mag-usap [The contract should not stipulate that costs such as the maintenance of flights in the airport should be passed on to the government],” Tugade told reporters in an interview on the sidelines of the signing of a memorandum of agreement on toll interoperability late last week.

Through sovereign guarantee, the government assures investors that they will be able to recover their investments in case of losses and ensure their profitability.

DOTr earlier said the Bulacan airport project being proposed by San Miguel Corporation (SMC) is feasible. The National Economic Development Authority-Investment Coordination Committee (NEDA-ICC) is currently reviewing the project.

Once approved by the NEDA-ICC and submitted to the NEDA Board for implementation, the project will be bid out through Swiss challenge wherein other companies can make competing offers while giving the original proponent the right to match them.

SMC offered to build a new airport in north of Metro Manila that will cost PHP700 billion with at least four runways and covering 2,000 hectares in Bulacan. (PNA)