PNP says Arnaiz is positive for gunpowder

By , on September 5, 2017

Carl Angelo Arnaiz (Photo: Carl Angelo Arnaiz/Facebook)
Carl Angelo Arnaiz (Photo: Carl Angelo Arnaiz/Facebook)

The Philippine National Police (PNP) Crime Laboratory confirmed that Carl Angelo Arnaiz’s paraffin test resulted to positive for gunpowder nitrates, on Tuesday.

During the hearing on Kian delos Santos’ death, Senator Grace Poe asked Chief Superintendent Oscar Albayalde, National Capital Region Police (NCRPO) chief on the results of the paraffin test after stating the spot report on Arnaiz’s case.

At first Albayalde said that they still had no results, but through an off-the-mic conversation with Senior Superintendent Ligaya Sim of the PNP Crime Lab who was present in the hearing, the Chief retracted his words saying that the Crime Lab already has the results.

Poe asked if the 19-year-old Arnaiz was positive which Sim replied with “Positive. Yes, Ma’am.”

Erwin Erfe, head of the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) forensic head stated a run-down of the forensic tests on Arnaiz, but confirmed that they did not conduct a paraffin test.

“We performed a forensic analysis of the gunshot wounds and other injuries of Carl Angelo Arnaiz last Sunday upon the request of the family,” he said.

According to Erfe, Arnaiz had a total of five gunshot wounds: three on the middle of the chest, one of the left, and one on the back portion of the upper arm.

The victim had handcuff marks on his wrists, both eyes had contusions, and his back had extensive abrasions or ‘drag marks.’ He said that there is no indication on the distance if Arnaiz was shot in a close range or not.

As an opinion, Erfe called it an ‘overkill,’ “[It appears that the] victim was mugged,” he said.

PNP’s spot report said that Caloocan cops looked for Arnaiz after a taxi driver’s complaint on Arnaiz allegedly robbing him. Marleo Bagcal, the driver told Philippine Star in a video interview by Rey Galupo that Arnaiz posed as a passenger in Navotas, then declared a hold-up upon reaching Road 3, Barangay 28 in Caloocan City.

The police said that the 19-year-old fired shots when they tried to arrest him, which is why they had to return gun shots which lead to his death.

Police allegedly found three packets in his backpack and marijuana in his pocket.

Arnaiz was reported to leave home in Cainta, Rizal on August 17, and was only identified 10 days later when a morgue in Caloocan City sent his family a text message when they reported him missing. He was killed on August 18.

His companion, a 14-year-old Reynaldo de Guzman is still missing.

Hanggang ngayon naghahanap pa po kami. Naka-post sa social media ang mukha ng bata. Itong katorse anyos na bata hindi pa rin matagpuan. Katorse anyos na lalaki po (Until now we are still searching. The face of the child is posted in social media. He is a 14-year-old boy),” Chief Public Attorney Persida Acosta said.