MANILA — The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Wednesday formed a three-man panel of prosecutors to conduct preliminary investigation on the charges against the four policemen involved in the death of Grade 11 student Kian Loyd Delos Santos.
The creation of the three-man panel was based on the order from the Office of the Prosecutor General dated Aug. 29 2017, signed by Senior Deputy State Prosecutor Severino H. Gana Jr.
Senior Assistant State Prosecutor Tofel G. Austria, Assistant State Prosecutor Amanda L. Garcia and Associate Prosecutor Attorney Moises Acayan were tasked to handle the initial probe on the cases.
Last week, Kian’s parents — Saldy and Lorenza Delos Santos — accompanied by PAO chief Persida Rueda-Acosta, filed criminal charges against four Caloocan police officers before the DOJ.
Violations of the Revised Penal Code for murder, and Republic Act 9745 or the Anti-Torture Law, were filed against Caloocan City Station 7 chief, Insp. Amor Cerillo; PO3 Arnel Oares; PO1 Jeremiah Pereda, PO1 Jerwin Cruz, and several “John Does.”
The four were already relieved from their posts and placed under restrictive custody.
On Tuesday, Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II extended provisional coverage under the Witness Protection Program (WPP) to Kian’s parents.
“They voluntarily went to us at the DOJ today (Tuesday) to apply for admission to the WPP. And we immediately accommodated them. This just shows, that contrary to the unfounded allegations of bias hurled against me by some ill-motivated or ill-informed sectors, the parents of Kian de los Santos have full faith and confidence with me and the DOJ in the handling of their son’s case,” Aguirre said.
The visit of Kian’s parents to the DOJ came a day after their meeting with President Rodrigo Duterte in Malacañang on Monday.
Aguirre said President Duterte instructed him to prosecute the people involved in the case.