Palace detaches from Aguirre’s ‘overblown’ comment

By , on August 24, 2017


 A large number of deaths was met with criticisms and several sectors have called out for an investigation on the matter. (PNA PHOTO)
FILE: Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella  (PNA PHOTO)

The Palace has distanced itself from Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II’s ‘blown out of proportion’ comment on Kian delos Santos’ death.

Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella on a Palace briefing on Thursday said, “That is the opinion of Secretary Aguirre but, from the Palace point of view, this is a serious matter and we have given it the kind of due attention.”

While the Spokesperson said that this is a matter of ‘depth and seriousness,’ he also said, “On the other hand, it is also wise to make sure everything is continuously in perspective.”

Delos Santos was the 17-year-old killed by policemen last week in an anti-drug operation in Caloocan, and filled the headlines after the police’s statements contradict the witnesses’ statements and the CCTV footage. The killing has prompted protesters to rally dubbed as ‘Himagsikan para kay Kian’ on August 21.

On Wednesday during the DOJ budget hearing, Aguirre said “Blow out of proportion in the media [ito] kaya akala mo napakalaki na. Isa lang siya sa thousands na pang-aabuso ng pulis kung talagang may pang-aabuso (This is blown out of proportion in the media that is why it looks big. He is only one of the thousands that were abused by the police if there is really abuse).”

He furthered that as the ‘war on drugs’ is a war, like any war, it will have casualties and ‘collateral damages.’

Kapag ang krimen ay kaya ninyong ilapit sa Pangulo, dun lang kayo nag-iingay (When you can link the President to the crime, that is the only time when you make noise),” Aguirre criticized the groups who condemn the President.

He called these groups ‘partial’ for thinking that the President is ‘so evil.’