MANILA, July 31 — The Department of Health (DOH) plans to build back better the damaged health facilities in Marawi City which will be like the ones used in Cuba.
In a press conference organized by Foreign Correspondents Asociation of the Philippines (FOCAP) together with Pharmaceutical & Healthcare Association of the Philippines (PHAP) at Manila Diamond Hotel on Monday, DOH Secretary Paulyn Ubial revealed that they will be needing around PHP2.7 billion for the construction or rebuilding process for the health facilities which were damaged by the conflict between government forces and Maute terrorists which started last May 23.
“We’re also thinking of rebuilding Marawi into an ideal health system where we have one Barangay Health Station per barangay, one rural health unit or health center for 20,000 population, one lying in facility and poly clinic for 50,000 population, and then one hospital bed for 800 population,” Ubial said, citing that such was in conformity to the Build Back Better plan which was discussed in the past meeting on efforts to rebuild the war-torn city.
Ubial added the plan includes deployment of personnel from the DOH.
“In the meantime, even up to one year or in the interim as much as two years, we will deploy DOH personnel to actually provide health services in the area,” she said.
Ubial also expressed hope that the Marawi City government can later take over by earning from the reimbursement from the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (Philhealth) to make the health system sustainable.
Under the 2018 budget, the DOH plans to deploy doctors, nurses, medtech, pharmacists, and dentists in various parts of the country.
However, the deployment of health personnel will be concentrated to Marawi City as part of rehabilitation efforts.
In addition, the capacity of the damaged Amai Pakpak Medical Center will be upgraded into 500 beds.
The estimated cost of damage to the facility is around PHP5 million, which were mostly due to stray bullets that go through the glass and walls of the hospital as well as supplies that was damaged by the brownout.
Based on its current assessment, the DOH said the Marawi siege has affected 102,000 families or 465,000 persons.
And so far, there were a total of 42 deaths and about 31,516 injuries were recorded.