MANILA—The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) started Monday its clearing operations on four major roads in Cubao to improve traffic flow going to and from Quezon City traversing EDSA.
In a statement, the agency said its towing personnel and Sidewalk Operations Group had began clearing road obstructions and illegally parked vehicles on Main Avenue, South Road, 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue in Barangay Bagong Lipunan ng Crame, Quezon City and declared these roads as tow away zones.
The MMDA is eyeing to open a bypass connecting Mariposa Street to 3rd Avenue going towards Camp Crame.
MMDA General Manager Thomas Orbos explained that motorists going to and from Quezon City can go straight to EDSA if Camp Crame would open its gates to the public.
Motorists coming from Makati City can exit EDSA using Col. Boni Serrano Avenue (Santolan) and those coming from Quezon City can exit South Road instead of P. Tuazon Street, according to Orbos.
Furthermore, the MMDA has conducted a series of dialogues with barangay officials on the clearing operations of roads in the area.
“We have already talked with barangay officials, headed by Barangay Chairman Tony Tamalayan, about this bypass which entails clearing of road obstructions. So far, they have been supportive of the plan,” he said.
MMDA personnel will be installing the necessary road markings such as pedestrian crossing and yellow box as well as directional signages to guide motorists who will be using the bypass.
Meanwhile, the Department of Interior and Local Government- National Capital Region (DILG-NCR) has issued a memorandum mandating all barangay chairmen to ensure that all roads within their area are cleared of all kinds of obstructions.
DILG-NCR said President Duterte has instructed its office and the MMDA to sue barangay officials who neglect or refuse to cooperate with concerned agencies in road clearing operations.
“The DILG-NCR, in coordination with the city/municipal mayors who exercise supervisory power over barangays, through the City Management Office of the LGU (local government unit), will monitor barangay actions in carrying on the task in clearing local roads from (sic) obstructions,” the agency said in its memorandum dated April 12, 2017.
Administrative complaints for neglect of duty will be filed against barangay officials who are found to be negligent in ensuring that roads are free of obstructions.
The MMDA has recently filed before the Office of the Ombudsman administrative cases against four barangay chairmen in Metro Manila for failing to clear local roads of obstructions after these have been initially cleared by MMDA personnel.
Barangay chairmen Michael Philip Factor of Barangay Don Galo, Paranaque, Elmer Maturan of Barangay Bagumbayan, Antonio Benito Calma Jr. of Barangay Don Manuel and Clarito de Jesus of Barangay Veterans Village were among those charged by the MMDA.
MMDA has earlier stated that it intends to file charges against seven barangay captains for allowing vehicles to park illegally within their localities.