MANILA—Former First Gentleman Atty. Jose Miguel “Mike” Arroyo has asked the Sandiganbayan to allow him to travel for one month to seven countries in Europe in May.
In his motion filed before the Sandiganbayan’s Seventh Division, Arroyo asked permission to travel to Spain, France, Denmark, Norway, Hungary, Czech Republic and Italy from May 15 to 17, 2017.
He said that he was previously allowed to travel to other countries and that he never failed to return to the Philippines on the scheduled date.
Arroyo added that his family was also in the Philippines, as well as his business interest.
“Accused-movant humbly submits that, while facing charges before this Honorable Court, he continuously enjoys the right to be presumed innocent until proven otherwise,” Arroyo’s motion said.
Arroyo is facing graft charges for his alleged involvement in the irregularity in the purchase made by the Philippine National Police (PNP) of two helicopters in 2009.
The Office of the Ombudsman (Ombudsman) has filed graft charges against Arroyo and 19 others, including former PNP chief Director General Jesus Verzosa, for the purchase of Php 34.6-million worth of “second-hand” helicopters which were sold to the PNP as “brand new”.