MANILA—The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Wednesday assured that precautionary measures are now in place to ensure security after the arrest of a suspected supporter of the Maute terror group.
Nasip Ibrahim was arrested last Monday night and was presented to the media on Tuesday, together with the assorted firearms, ammunition and illegal substance seized in his possession in Salam Compound, Barangay Culiat, Quezon City.
”After the arrest nitong si Ibrahim by the NCPRO (National Capital Region Police Office) at QCPD (Quezon City Police District), we will take necessary precautionary measures to ensure the security of the public not just in Metro Manila but in other areas,” said PNP Public Information Office (PIO) chief and spokesman Senior Supt. Dionardo Carlos in a press conference in Camp Crame, Quezon City on Wednesday.
Ibrahim was the alleged driver of the Toyota Revo which was used to transport the improvised explosive device (IED) from Luneta Park, Manila to the area near the United States Embassy in Roxas Boulevard.
The said IED was recovered at the vicinity of the United States Embassy in Manila in November last year, which was supposed to be used in a bombing attempt in Luneta Park, Manila.
Carlos noted that the “nautical highway” has been used in the delivery of the IED.
”If based on intelligence information and regular analysis, ‘yun ang nagiging basehan. So far, maganda resulta ng investigation ng NCRPO which led to the arrest of Ibrahim,” he said.
”We do the deployment based on intelligence information. On a weekly basis, ginagawa ng ating mga field commanders yung kanilang analysis of the result of the managing police operations,” Carlo said.