Matobato to file case before ICC, Administration remains unfazed

By , on March 14, 2017


Photo: Edgar Matobato/Facbook.com
Photo: Edgar Matobato/Facebook.com

Attorney Jude Sabio announced last week that he and his client, self-confessed hitman Edgar Matobato, are going to file a case against President Duterte at the International Criminal Court in The Hague, the Netherlands.

Sabio had previously stated that he is confident that Matobato and Lascañas’ testimonies, along with the reports of the Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International are enough evidence to convict Duterte of crimes against humanity.

The Administration, however, is unfazed about the announcement. On Monday, the President himself with regards to the matter saying, “I’m ready to face the consequences. If I go to prison, so be it.”

Meanwhile, Presidential Chief Legal Counsel, Salvador Panelo said that Matobato’s plan to sue Duterte before the ICC has no basis and dismissed the former hitman’s statements as propaganda.

“It might even be snubbed. There is no basis. If you have to file a case, you must have documents; proof to back you up,” he said.

It was also last week when the Senate Committee on Public Order and Dangerous Drugs adjourned its probe on retired SPO3 Arturo Lascañas, ruling that his testimonies lack sufficient and tangible evidence.  Despite the Senate decision, Senate Committee Chairman Panfilo Lacson said that it is now up for the Commission of Human Rights and the Philippine National Police to decide whether or not to investigate on Lascañas’ testimonies.
The Commission on Human Rights had already formed a new team dedicated to investigate the killings that were done by the Davao Death Squad, including those stated in the statements of Lascañas and Matobato.