MANILA –President Rodrigo Duterte on Tuesday announced that he will again use policemen in the war against illegal drugs but added that only a selected group will participate.
In a Palace interview, the President said that he had ordered Philippine National Police Chief Ronald dela Rosa to recruit young police officers who have no history of corruption for the renewed campaign.
“I have ordered Bato to recruit young men in the PNP who are imbued with fervor of patriotism to be the members only of the task forces. Every station should have one pero yung piling-pili, iyung walang history of corruption,” Duterte said.
“I have to do it because kulang ako ng tao,” he said.
Duterte said he relayed the order during the Command Conference Monday evening.
But despite the order, Duterte said that PDEA will continue to supervise anti-illegal drug operations.
Earlier Monday, the President said that since the PNP suspended its anti-drug campaign last month, there has been a rise of drug activities by 20 percent.
The PNP suspended its war on drugs after several cops were accused of kidnapping and then killing a Korean businessman right inside the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame in the guise of an anti-drug operation.
The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) took over the campaign but later admitted that it lack the manpower to effectively carry out the anti-drug war.
Meanwhile, Dela Rosa also said Monday that the PNP is ready to resume the war on drugs if the President will give them the order.