MANILA –Exactly three months after visiting the typhoon Yolanda-ravaged areas in Tacloban City, President Rodrigo Duterte announced on Wednesday that beneficiaries of the government housing for Yolanda and typhoon Pablo need not to pay monthly amortization.
”Your housing, after a few years, you have to pay Php200,000 both the (typhoons) Yolanda and Pablo. For as long as I am the president, it will be free,” President Duterte said during the National Housing Summit in Quezon City.
The announcement of the President drew loud cheers and clapping from the beneficiaries of the government housing projects particularly for typhoons Yolanda and Pablo victims.
President Duterte did not elaborate his announcement but NHA General Manager Marcelino Escalada Jr. told the media that NHA board has recently approved a recommendation to President Duterte to give free the government housing for the two typhoons’ victims.
Escalada said a total of 205,000 victims will benefits from the house and lot package cost almost Php290,000 each.
The NHA official said Php50 billion has been allotted for the housing grants.
During his visit to Tacloban City in November last year, President Duterte said he is not satisfied with the housing projects for Yolanda victims.
Yolanda, one of the strongest typhoons to hit the land, devastated the Visayas areas, leaving over 6,300 people dead and Php89.5 billion worth of damage property.
On the other hand, typhoon Pablo ravaged Mindanao areas in 2012, particularly Campostela Valley.