MANILA – The number of Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) bandits killed in the ongoing focused military operations in Sulu has climbed to 30 as five more bandits were reported killed in Sulu Tuesday.
This was stressed by Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) spokesperson Brig. Gen. Restituto Padilla in message to the PNA.
“To date 30 ASGs are killed following this (Tuesday) morning’s encounter,” he added.
However, Padilla did not give specifics on where these bandits were killed.
Another 11 terrorists were reported wounded in the ongoing operations.
Government casualty count stands at 15 troopers killed and 12 wounded as of this posting.
Last Monday, four ASG bandits were killed in two separate operations in Sulu, bringing the total number of terrorists killed as of Monday to 25, AFP public affairs office chief Col. Edgard Arevalo said.
The first clash took place 1:50 p.m. at Sitio Kugan, Barangay Bakung, Patikul when troopers from the 21st Infantry Battalion clashed with an estimated 30 ASG bandits led by sub-leader Jamiri Jawong.
In the 30-minute firefight, two of the terrorists were killed and an undetermined number, including Jawong, were wounded, forcing the ASG to retreat.
No losses were recorded by government troopers in this encounter, Arevalo said.
In the second clash at 3:42 p.m., an estimated 80 brigands were encountered by members of the 4th Scout Ranger Battalion.
In the ensuing 30-minute firefight, two more of the bandits were killed while two soldiers were wounded.
In focused military operations which started Aug.26, an estimated 21 ASG terrorists were reported killed.
The offensive was the offshoot of the bandit group’s brutal beheading of 18-year-old Patrick Jhames Almodavar last week.