— Orlando Police (@OrlandoPolice) June 13, 2016
MANILA – No Filipino has so far been reported injured in the shooting at a nightclub in Orlando, Florida that killed 50 people and injured dozens, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Monday.
The gunman, Omar Mateen, 29, of Fort Pierce, Florida shot 50 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando – the deadliest mass shooting in the US in recent history.
“According to our embassy in Washington D.C. our honorary consul in Orlando said that authorities there have not released any information including names of casualties, but our embassy continues to coordinate with Orlando authorities as well as with Filipinos there to gather more information,” Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said.
“But so far there are no reports of Filipinos among casualties in the Orlando shooting,” Jose added.
The Philippines he said is not inclined at the moment to issue a travel advisory, calling it a “random incident.”
“I’m sure our embassy in DC will issue an appropriate advisory to Filipinos in the area,” Jose said.