Binay’s petition to Comelec proves irregularity during May 9 polls—Peña

By on June 2, 2016


, Peña said he is now preparing for the manual recount which he said would be costly. (Screenshot from Youtube video.)
, Peña said he is now preparing for the manual recount which he said would be costly. (Screenshot from Youtube video.)

MANILA—Incumbent Makati City Mayor Romulo “Kid” Pena on Thursday said the motion to dismiss filed by Mayor-elect Abigail Binay’s camp validates his claim of alleged irregularities which happened during the polls in the city last May 9.

“If they think Binay won fairly, why be bothered by a recount since its only part of our democratic process where the losing candidates has the right to file one if he has evidence,” Pena said.

He added that credible witnesses will be presented at the proper forum saying that a hearing has yet to be scheduled by the Comelec.

“I am confident that the truth will come out and I will not stop until we get what we are fighting for,” the mayor said.

Ang issue dito ay sagradong boto ng taga Makati. Kung ano ang maging kapalaran natin sa isasagawang recount ay bukal sa loob nating tatanggapin. Pero kumpiyansa ako, lalo’t sa patuloy nating paglilibot sa lungsod, iisa ang tanong ng ating mga kababayan. Mayor Kid bakit ganun, paanong nangyari yun gayong ikaw ang sinuportahan namin? Sa protestang ito, magkakaroon ng kalinawan ang katanungan ng lahat (The issue here is the sacred vote of the residents of Makati. What our fate will be in the recount (of votes) will be accepted by us wholeheartedly. But I am confident, especially with our continuous roaming in the city, our fellowmen has one question. Mayor Kid, why is that, how did it (loss in the election) happened when we supported you? In this protest, there will be clarity in the questions of everyone),” he said.

Pena also cried foul and refuted the allegations that he used the city’s resources for his campaign during the elections. He said that if he did spent Makati’s money, like what they are alleging, he could have won the polls.

Likewise, Peña said he is now preparing for the manual recount which he said would be costly.

“Our supporters have started the Piso Para sa Pagbabago campaign and they have so far collected more than PHP130,000 during the first counting,” he added.

The mayor said there are also individuals who have offered him checks worth around PHP300,000.

Meanwhile, Mayor Peña’s supporters have started the ‘Piso Para sa Pagbabago’ campaign and they have so far collected more than PHP130,000 during the first counting conducted on Wednesday.

The mayor said there are also individuals who have issued him several personal checks worth around PHP300,000. An OFW recent contributor also gave USD500 dollars to cover the expenditures of the protest.

”I am thankful for their unending support for our fight towards the truth,” Pena said.

“I’ve decided to continue the protest since it is the people’s clamor and they only want the truth to come out because they witnessed the fraud and cheating during the elections,” he added.

Binay has asked the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to dismiss losing Makati mayoral candidate Romulo Peña, Jr.’s election protest.

In her response and counter-protest filed on May 30, Binay noted that Peña gave two different versions of his complaint, violating Section 3, Rule 6 of Comelec Resolution No. 8804.

The said resolution requires that two copies of the same version of the protest should be filed with Comelec and given to the protestee.

The proclaimed Makati mayor also asked the poll body to drop Peña’s protest as it failed to provide detailed information on the alleged electoral frauds in the protested precincts.

“A cursory examination of the Protest will reveal that its allegations are nothing but sweeping generalizations, legal conclusions, speculation, and conjecture,” Binay said.