Comelec lauds conceding candidates, believes gesture will help ease political tension

By , on May 10, 2016


MANILA – The Commission on Elections (Comelec) lauded candidates who accepted their defeat in Monday’s polls.

Comelec Chairman Juan Andres Bautista believed that the decision of the candidates to recognize their opponents’ victory will be a good gesture as it may help relieve tension.

“I think it will be a good tradition to bring down the political tension,” he said.

At the time, Bautista is hoping that such action will become a habit in Philippine politics.

“I hope this will become a tradition that will be practiced in the future elections,” he said.

The poll body chief added, “I want like to congratulate candidates that have already conceded. If the candidate believes that he or she no longer has the chance to win, I think the proper thing to do is to concede.”

A day after the national and local elections, presidential aspirants Sen. Grace Poe and administration bet Mar Roxas have conceded to presidential race frontrunner Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte.

Duterte remains in the lead based on unofficial tally from the Comelec Transparency Server.

Likewise, Senators Chiz Escudero and Antonio Trillanes, both conceded in the vice presidential race.

So far, Camarines Sur (3rd District) Rep. Leni Robredo and Senator Ferdinand Marcos Jr., are in a close fight in the race for the country’s second highest post.