Turkish interior ministry may name culprits in Ankara bombing soon

By on March 14, 2016


Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Âlâ. (Photo: Efkan Âlâ | Twitter)
Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Âlâ.
(Photo: Efkan Âlâ | Twitter)

ANKARA—Turkish police have gathered damning evidence at the site of Sunday’s bombing in Ankara and may be able to name the terrorist organization behind the attack on Monday, Interior Minister Efkan Ala said.

A car bomb exploded late Sunday at a bus stop near Ankara’s central Kizilay square, killing 34 people and wounding 125. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said it was a terrorist attack, although no militant group immediately claimed responsibility for it.

“We already have serious evidence. Investigators could make preliminary conclusions as soon as tomorrow when the inquiry possibly reaches a stage when we will be able to name the organization linked to this attack,” Ala told reporters.

President Erdogan said earlier that terrorist attacks only increased his government’s determination to fight terrorism. Last month’s bombing of a military convoy in Ankara killed 28 people and was blamed on Kurdish militias.