Palace rebuffs Enrile’s debate challenge on Mamasapano clash

By , on February 1, 2016


Wikipedia photo
Wikipedia photo

MANILA—Malacanang sees no need to respond to a debate challenge of Senator Juan Ponce Enrile to President Benigno S. Aquino III on the Mamasapano tragedy, but rather it is good for the country to continue its focus on the transformation and reform program.

Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr. said Enrile has had the opportunity to present his case.

“It is best that our people focus their energies instead on how to sustain the momentum of our reform and transformation efforts that have gained the respect and admiration of the global community,” Coloma said in a statement.

For his part, Presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda believed that all questions related to the 2015 Mamasapano encounter have already been asked and responded during the reopening of the investigation on the incident.

“All that were needed to be asked by the senators have been asked. All that were needed to be answered by the resource persons have been responded to. Perhaps, the results of the Senate reopening of the Mamasapano should speak for itself,” he said.

The clash left 44 police commandos dead on Jan. 25 last year.