President Aquino assures safety, security in “Lando”-affected areas

By , on October 19, 2015


Pres. Benigno Simeon Aquino III (Malacañang Photo Bureau)
Pres. Benigno Simeon Aquino III (Malacañang Photo Bureau)

MANILA – President Benigno S. Aquino III on Monday assured that the government is continuously taking all steps to ensure safety and security of those in 800 barangays in several provinces that are deemed to be susceptible to the effects of rainwater as a result of typhoon “Lando.”

“The expectation for the effects of this particular typhoon is about three days long,” the President said in an interview following the distribution of relief goods to victims of typhoon Lando at Nueva Ecija National High School in Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija.

President Aquino noted that the 800 barangays were identified to be in danger, but their residents do not see the amount of rain is pouring and believe that it is now safe already to go back to their communities.

“But we are preventing them right now because the expectations from tonight and after tomorrow, a lot of this rainfall that fell on the northern portion of Luzon will be coming down and will be affecting all of these barangays near the major river systems,” he said.

The Chief Executive added that the various electric cooperatives were also currently checking their lines to ensure that there was no threat for electrocution for ‎any of the communities by the time they re-energize.

“But still the disturbance is still with us. It has not exited the land mass at this point in time. It has veered northeast so it really will affect a lot of these areas in Region 1 and the Cordillera area, and that’s what we are trying to gear up for,” President Aquino said.

The President said the government was likewise working to prevent spread of leptospirosis, a disease carried especially through the floodwaters.

“So, the government I think has responded to all. Casualties so far – hopefully will not climb. But again we will not take any chance and we will try to ensure that we are on the side of being conservative and making sure that everybody is protected during this time,” he added.

Massive flooding brought about by heavy rains from typhoon “Lando” hit Nueva Ecija, including Cabanatuan City.

“There are areas we have no communication and no electricity but there are less and less areas that are somewhat isolated. Cabanatuan, in fact, was part of the list of those isolated, that’s why we are here,” President Aquino said.

The President said the government has prepositioned relief supplies but equipment with the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) in many typhoon-affected areas.