Tolentino begs off from LP Senate slate

By , on October 7, 2015


MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino (Photo from MMDA's official Facebook page)
MMDA Chairman Francis Tolentino (Photo from MMDA’s official Facebook page)

MANILA – Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Francis Tolentino asked the ruling Liberal Party (LP) to exclude him from the political party’s list of senatorial candidates in next year’s national elections.

Tolentino released the statement after being flacked over a controversial dance at a congressman’s birthday party held last week. He also apologized to various women’s groups which have reacted negatively on the lewd performance.

Ipinapaabot ko sa Partido Liberal na alisin na ang pangalan ko sa kino-consider nilang lineup sa pagka-senador sa 2016,” the traffic czar said.

(I’m urging the Liberal Party to remove my name among those they have been considering for their 2016 senatorial lineup.)

Tolentino earlier expressed interest in running for senator in the coming general elections. He has then been considered by the LP as among its senatorial bets.

However, the recent controversial dance by all-female group “Playgirls” raised questions on his principles and worthiness as a government official.

Still joining senatorial race

On the same day he begged off from the LP’s senatorial lineup, Tolentino also signed his resignation letter as the MMDA chairman and has been set to deliver his letter to President Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III.

“Dumating na ang panahon na ako ay umalis na para lumahok sa mas mataas na antas ng paglilingkod sa bayan ngayong 2016 (The time has come for me to resign and seek higher office this 2016),” he told reporters.

“Samahan po ninyo ako sa 2016 (Please join me in 2016),” he added.