No Pinoy casualty in Japan flooding

By , on September 12, 2015


Residents in Joso, Japan wait for rescue helicopters.  (Screengrab from The Telegraph video)
Residents in Joso, Japan wait for rescue helicopters.
(Screengrab from The Telegraph video)

MANILA – No Filipinos were reported hurt in the floods that hit eastern Japan, the Department of Foreign Affairs said Friday.

Citing a report from the Philippine Embassy in Tokyo, Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said Filipinos were among those evacuated in the affected Japanese prefectures.

“The Japanese government and the local government units are responsible for them and we all know Japan is efficient in terms of disaster preparedness and disaster response,” Jose said.

When typhoon Etau first entered Japan earlier this week, there were three prefectures identified that would experience heavy rains. In these prefectures, there were 61,000 Filipinos residing in the three areas, Jose said.

The typhoon is moving towards the North and two additional prefectures were identified to be in the path of the storm.

In these two, there are 12, 000 Filipinos residing in them, he said.

Jose said the embassy is closely monitoring the situation and remains in touch with Filipino communities.