“Tara na kabayan, bumoto na tayo sa darating na halalan.”
With this welcoming call, Filipinos in Canada especially kababayans who are still holding Philippine passports either as a Filipino national or dual citizen, are being encouraged to exercise the right of suffrage–that is to vote–in the May 2016 national elections sa ating Inang Bayan.
In a previous announcement, the Philippine Embassy in Ottawa, “encourages our Fellow Kababayans to register through the Philippine Consulate General office in Toronto, as Overseas Voter to be able to vote for the 2016 Presidential Elections” in order to choose the Philippines’ next national leaders.
The Overseas Voting Act or Republic Act No. 9189, passed on February 13, 2003, provides for a system for citizens of the Philippines to vote in election. The Act states that “all Filipino citizens abroad who are not disqualified by law and at least 18 years of age by the time of elections will be entitled to vote” but must file their application personally at the Consulate nearest their region.
A registered Overseas Absentee Voter may vote for the following positions during a presidential election: President, Vice President, Senators and Part-list representatives.
The process of free registration is from now until October 31, 2015 at the Philippine Consulate General office at: 160 Eglinton Avenue East, 7th Floor, Toronto, Ontario with contact number 416-922-7181. Personal appearance is a must as registration requires intake of a person’s biometrics. Applicants should bring proof of Philippine citizenship, that is, his/her Philippine passport.
To register, applicants are advised to follow this step-by-step procedure :
1. Access or go to www.iRehistro.com or www.comelec.gov.ph or pick up a Registration Form OVF1 at the Toronto Consulate;
2. Select the type of application from the list;
3. Print and / or fill up application form;
4. Set an appointment with the Consulate or walk in during their regular office hours for filing purposes;
5. Submit personally the form ( Do not sign the accomplished / printed form yet);
6. Present the accomplished form to a Consular Officer for biometrics capturing ( photo, signature, fingerprint);
7. Sign the accomplished form in the presence of the COMELEC Representative at the Toronto Consulate Office.
The following information are required in the Application Form:
Name of Applicant
Date of Birth
Complete mailing address for purposes of voting
After the submission, you will get a confirmation from COMELEC OAFS System that your application was received.
Again, please be reminded that OAV Registration (manually or online through iRehistro) will be available until 31 ,October 2015.
For more information, please call the Toronto Consulate at : 416-922-7181 or you may email the Philippne COMELEC office at :email@example.com .
Para walang reklamo sa huli, wika nga, bumoto tayo ng marangal at mapagmahal sa ating bayang sinilangan.