PH is world’s ‘most social nation’

By , on August 3, 2015


(Shutterstock image)
(Shutterstock image)

MANILA – According to a report by web browser Opera Mini, the Philippines is the ‘most social nation’ in the world with a very high social media activity among the country’s Internet users.

“Filipinos love to share things with friends and families. This country used to be the text-messaging capital of the world,” Opera Software Country Manager Eiko Raquel said.

“Now, with easier Internet access and higher smartphone adoption, the Philippines has not only been crowned the ‘selfie capital of the world’ by Time magazine, but also has now been ranked as ‘the most social nation’ by Opera,” he added.

According to Opera Mini, the prevalence of smartphones spearheaded the Philippines’ social networking activities. The mobile browser’s report also disclosed that half of the country’s Internet users browsed the web and went online through their phones.

“With the unstoppable adoption of smartphones, people are spending more time accessing the Web on their mobile devices… The smartphone adoption rate in this country has grown from 41 percent to 55 percent over the past year,” the Opera Mini report read.

Among the social networking sites, Facebook topped the list of having the most page views; and was followed by Twitter and Tumblr. Also among the most visited sites were Google, YouTube, Wikipedia, Yahoo, WordPress, Answers.com and AZlyrics.

In terms of smartphone brands used for social media activity, Opera Mini found out that local brands were beginning to be at par with international brands.

“A breakdown of the top 100 mobile devices preferred by Opera Mini users shows that Cherry Mobile has overtaken Samsung, with a 27 percent market share. Another local brand, MyPhone, has 8 percent… The total market share of these two local smartphone brands is 35 percent, higher than Nokia’s 31 percent,” the report concluded.