Palace on ASG’s threat: Gov’t maintains ‘no ransom policy’

By , on June 25, 2015


screenshot from viral facebook video
Screenshot from viral Facebook video

MANILA – Malacanang on Thursday said the government will maintain its no ransom policy amid threats by the terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group to behead its three captives, including two Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) personnel.

”Government maintains its “no-ransom policy,” Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) Secretary Herminio Coloma said in a press statement.

Coloma said PCG spokesperson Cdr. Armand Balillo said the PCG is doing its best to rescue its two PCG personnel.

Last month, the ASG kidnapped the two PCG personnel and a barangay captain in Dapitan City in Zamboanga.

”Admiral Rodolfo Isorena has since day one gave instructions to PCG Northern Mindanao district commander Commodore Ferdinand Velasco to exhaust all possible efforts to recover them,” Balilio said.

Velasco has also been instructed to coordinate closely with their counterparts in the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and Philippine National Police (PNP).

”We are also giving updates to the families of the two PCG personnel,” Balilio said.

According to the reports, the victims were monitoring the arrival of vessels ferrying visitors on an island resort off Dapitan City when they were seized by the ASG before dawn on May 4.