MANILA — “I won’t allow the SAF 44 to be forgotten.”
Those are Sen. Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos Jr. words during the recently concluded Senate forum Thursday.
Marcos said family members of the slain Special Action Force (SAF) commandos had been asking him for updates in the Mamasapano clash investigation.
The veteran senator noted that the fallen SAF members should not be forgotten amid the efforts made between the Philippine government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in accordance to the peace process.
“I will ask the [Department of Justice] now, I will write a letter saying, ‘what happened to the investigation?” Marcos said, pointing out that reports from the Department of Justice stated that about 90 individuals will be charged for the Mamasapano incident that claimed 63 lives.
Marcos also said he found out that not all the SAF 44 kin received the government’s promised benefits, but more than anything else, these families want justice.
He also said that the administration “should not coddle” former Philippine National Police chief and director general Alan Purisima, who remains in the police force even after the botched Mamasapano operation and his own resignation as PNP chief.
Purisima returned to active duty early June after the expiration of his 6-month suspension.