MILF begins surrender of arms

By , on June 16, 2015


MILF Chief Peace Negotiator Mohagher Iqbal at Thursday's (Feb 12, 2015) Senate hearing on the Mamasapano clash (Photo courtesy of Sen. Grace Poe's Facebook page)
MILF Chief Peace Negotiator Mohagher Iqbal at Thursday’s (Feb 12, 2015) Senate hearing on the Mamasapano clash (Photo courtesy of Sen. Grace Poe’s Facebook page)

MANILA — The Moro Islamic Liberation Front on Tuesday started laying down its arms as a symbolic gesture of pursuing peace in Mindanao.

The group will decommission 145 of its fighters and turn over 55-high powered rifles and 20 crew-served weapons.

Gen. Gregorio Pio Catapang Jr., chief of staff of the Armed Forces of the Philippines, called the move “a historic event.”

Catapang has served in Mindanao during the 2000 “all-out war” ordered by then President Joseph Estrada.

Presidential Communications Secretary Herminio Coloma Jr., meanwhile said that the ceremony is part of the peace agreement signed by the MILF and the government last year.

President Aquino will also be joining as the guest of honor in the ceremonial turnover of weapons at the MILF’s Darapanan Camp in Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao province.

Mohagher Iqba, lMILF chief peace negotiator assured that the rebels will help ensuring the safety of the President during the ceremonies.

“There’s no other way but to have peace in Mindanao. We will see to it that we will comply with our obligations. We have to undertake this whether the BBL is moving in Congress or not,” Iqbal said.