MANILA — Amid fears brought by the recent outbreak of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers) in South Korea, Malacañang said that the country is ready for to fight the disease.
“Sana ay alalahanin natin na sa lahat ng panahon ang ating pamahalaan ay hindi nagpapabaya bagkus ay pinapaigting pa ang kahandaan, hindi lamang sa MERS-CoV o sa Ebola, pero sa lahat ng maaaring banta sa ating kalusugan at kapakinabangan,” Coloma said.
(Let us remember that the government is prepared at all times and that it is intensifying its preparations to respond not only to Mers or Ebola, but to all threats to our health and well-being.)
Coloma made the statement in a radio interview on Sunday amid fears that the country’s facilities are not ready for Mers by citing the government’s measures against the disease last February.
“Katulad po ng naganap noong isang taon ay nasubukan naman po ‘yung kakayahan ng ating pamahalaan na gumawa ng tamang paraan ng contact tracing at tamang paraan ng pag-isolate sa mga maaaring naapektuhan nito. Naisagawa naman po natin ‘yan sa isang mahusay na paraan,” he said.
(Just like we did last year, the readiness of the government was tested when it conducted contact tracing and the correct way to isolate those who have been diagnosed with the disease. We have accomplished these steps in an excellent manner.)
Coloma also called on the people to follow the measures in order to make the steps and efforts of the government successful.
“Patuloy na nananawagan ang pamahalaan sa ating mga kababayan na sundin ang mga kaukulang preventive measure at infection control protocol at maging ang mga local health regulation sa kanilang lugar na pinaglilingkuran,” he said.
(The government urges Filipinos to follow the necessary preventive measures, infection control protocol and local health regulation in the areas where they are working.)